The boring rants of a lazy nerd

Friday, November 25, 2005

Life/Writing - Attractive Adjectives

Let me theorize for a second, as I often wont to do. What people usually find attractive in the opposite sex (I don't understand same-sex attraction, therefore I'll refrain from commenting about it) are the distinguishing features of that sex. Meaning attractive women are womanly and attractive men are manly. Thus men are attracted to breasts because they don't have any (that's my theory anyway), and round buttocks, and despite recurring fashion for men to wear their hair long, long flowing hair. Generally, curvier and rounder features, and a non-intimidating size (or maybe that's just me). Women are (supposedly) attracted to tall, broad-shouldered, muscled men with more squarish features (and possibly more body hair). And of course, kind eyes, or a giant throbbing erection (just for her!), whatever the case may be.

That's all pretty simple and generally well understood, at least by people who are weird like me and like to overanylize life instead of just living it. What I don't understand is the use of "calloused hands" as an attractive attribute of men. I don't think the feeling would be pleasing, and unless the guy is in Oxford crew, it would almost certainly mean working-class. Why is that attractive? Or does it simply mean unprofessional, not thought-out, copy-paste writing? I do speak of fan fiction, after all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

First of all - considering Miles, it may not be only you but others may have different opinions :-)

I may not be such a good example, being kind of shapeless and not very womanly, but caloused hands = someone who can deal with things, someone who is probably physically strong and good with his hands. A DIY able guy means he can fix things around the house (though I enjoy wielding a drill myself too).

Anyway, that's what I think. I'm not sure.

-Rachel (whose husband is currently building a cupboard behind her)

Wolf550e said...

R., A DIY-type is one thing, calluses are another. You husband is an EE major IIRC, I don't believe he has such problems!

R.J. Anderson said...

Soft, uncalloused hands imply laziness or effeminacy. Calloused hands (from hard work, or even just playing an instrument) suggest self-discipline and strength. They are manly, y0. Whether they feel good is almost irrelevant -- it's more of a visual/mental thing.

In real life, as opposed to writing, however, most women wouldn't notice if a man's hands were calloused or not unless they were really roughed up and nasty-looking, in which case my personal inclination would be to recommend a callus file and a good medicinal hand cream, because ouch.

Blog Archive

About Me

GCS d- s-: a-- C++$ UL++ P+++ L+++ E--- W+++ N o? K? w++$ !O !M !V PS-(+) PE Y+ PGP+(-) t--@ 5++(+++) !X R-- tv-- b+>++ DI+++ D+ G e h! r* y--(-)>+++