The boring rants of a lazy nerd

Sunday, November 20, 2005

Books - Brian Herbert, Kevin J. Anderson - The Butlerian Jihad (Legends of Dune, Book 1)

My excuse or touching this: I was on guard duty and it was the only dead tree book I had available (on loan). A PDA sounds very tempting now, if only to avoid being stuck with that again.

I have read about 150 pages out of the ~700 total. I do not intend to wade through the rest to find out how it ends. It had a feeling of being either written by a sophisticated multithreaded Markov-esque machine regurgitating unrelated sci-fi cliche stories each targeted at a specific target market sector in a round-robin manner, or of something taken off FFN and miraculously proofread. It just didn't sound like professional (I won't bother with "best-selling") writing. And it appears I am not alone in this thinking: the hardcover edition is being sold on Amazon for less than the mass market paperback!

Some reviews say it would've been a good enough book had it not the pressure of the original Dune to drive it into the ground (sand?). I maintain that I see no reason to read junk, unless you specifically enjoy reading/MST-ing junk. And there is definitely no reason to endorse it by paying for it, even then.

Frank should have put a codicil in his will saying his son would lose the rights to the name should he use it for publishing crap.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

GCS d- s-: a-- C++$ UL++ P+++ L+++ E--- W+++ N o? K? w++$ !O !M !V PS-(+) PE Y+ PGP+(-) t--@ 5++(+++) !X R-- tv-- b+>++ DI+++ D+ G e h! r* y--(-)>+++