The boring rants of a lazy nerd

Monday, September 25, 2006

Life/Fandom/Poetry(!) - Gender Wars

A while ago I've read some fic where the author quoted (in full) a Rudyard Kipling poem titled "The Female of the Species" (if copyright expires 70 years after the author's death, it's public domain since January, but I won't copy it here. Just look it up). I don't remember much but I think that Harry used the poem to educate Draco that attacking Hermione (or was it Ginny?) is not a smart move. Today, while jogging, it surfaced with a remembered feeling of unease. I remembered it bothering me when I first read it, but I couldn't tell why. So I've looked it up and indeed, it's not a poem about wildlife at all! It's a poem against women suffrage, and regardless of the fic author's gender, it looks like s/he didn't read it well. It was published in 1911, which as far as I know means women's rights were on the public debate. Or am I delusional?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No, you're not delusional. It's definitely an anti-women's-lib poem, and a very venomous one at that. Err, no pun intended. I can see how some people might think from the title and the first two or three verses that it's "empowering", but whoever thinks so hasn't read the poem carefully/to the end. Or maybe chooses to elegantly ignore the bits they don't like.

On a completely different note: Harry quoting poetry? Um, no.

Blog Archive

About Me

GCS d- s-: a-- C++$ UL++ P+++ L+++ E--- W+++ N o? K? w++$ !O !M !V PS-(+) PE Y+ PGP+(-) t--@ 5++(+++) !X R-- tv-- b+>++ DI+++ D+ G e h! r* y--(-)>+++