The boring rants of a lazy nerd

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Books - Lois McMaster Bujold - The Curse of Chalion

A spoiler-free review of Lois McMaster Bujold's first good Fantasy novel!

So, as everyone who reads my blog knows already, it's so totally awesome. Thank you very much R. for making me read it.

  • A world where prayer is actually answered, and every lay man is entitled to at least one miracle, is either really cool or just as the same as ours, depending on one's POV, I guess.
  • I liked how theologians are the wizards of this world, though for the men who are not god-touched, it could be plain medieval Europe. A very light use of fantastic elements, all considered.
  • I loved the language, and how it served its purpose instead of being the purpose.
  • Umegat trying to debauch a dedicat by making her read Boccaccio aloud was funny.
  • The hero appears to be designed to be fallen in love with by the reader, but I can't bring myself to dislike him none-the-less. Bujold is good like that.
  • The book does start slow, but it picks up its pace and gets to the point where you can't put it down midway through. The ending was a surprise for me.

If you were a dedicat of one of the Chalion gods, which god would you choose? There's no shame in choosing by color, mind, but a theological reason is preferred.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha ha!You read it at last!
Do you have Paladin of Souls? If not you can have mine, and take back the HBP while you're at it...

I went to Icon on Wed night and saw some people I know- you so missed out, man.

Chalion... I love Chalion...

Wolf550e said...

I have all her published work to date, but yeah, I really should return your book.

What have I missed on Wednesday? Rocky? I went to see what I wanted to see and met some people, and you've missed out if you haven't seen Serenity! :-)

Anonymous said...

*you* should return *my* book? Which book?
I went to the "sex & sexuality as a mirror of the times" and it was really, really bloody good.

and which god? Well, I like green... but I think I'd go for the Bastard, actually. I don't feel I quite fit in with any of the others...

-local bujold fan

Blog Archive

About Me

GCS d- s-: a-- C++$ UL++ P+++ L+++ E--- W+++ N o? K? w++$ !O !M !V PS-(+) PE Y+ PGP+(-) t--@ 5++(+++) !X R-- tv-- b+>++ DI+++ D+ G e h! r* y--(-)>+++