The boring rants of a lazy nerd

Thursday, August 04, 2005

Life - My God! Genius! Interest improves quality!

I have been talking to anyone who would listen, trying to phrase my ideas about how the world is so fucked up because people don't do what they like. That because people are unmotivated by what they do for money they do it badly. I see it all the time and it looks like the cause of so much grief, and I'm not the only one because all the smart people I talk to agree with me (and not just to get me to shut up), and it's not just in the military or just in Israel, it's everywhere. It's nothing new, Pirsig talks about it, but just catching up on Paul Graham's latest essay I cried out "you've read my mind!". The question is: How can I make a difference? And I'm not ready to start a startup now, nor will I able to for the next three years. Damn.

2 comments:

Teri said...

You can make a difference by having a good work ethic about whatever you are doing -- even if it's not your ideal job.

Wolf550e said...

My work ethic is not the problem. The problem is that unless you run your own little company, you work at a place full of people who are only interested in the pay check, do the minimum required so they won't be laid off and spend most of the time from 9 to 5 looking at the clock, the way I remember doing in school. Killing time is a horrible way to spend more a third of your life.

Blog Archive

About Me

GCS d- s-: a-- C++$ UL++ P+++ L+++ E--- W+++ N o? K? w++$ !O !M !V PS-(+) PE Y+ PGP+(-) t--@ 5++(+++) !X R-- tv-- b+>++ DI+++ D+ G e h! r* y--(-)>+++