The boring rants of a lazy nerd

Friday, August 26, 2005

Books - Terry Pratchett - Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, Book 6)

So, the promised review. I've read the Hebrew translation (that's what I had with me), without reading the original before or after (I might yet). I've managed to reverse translate some of the jokes, but still I didn't laugh nearly as much as I remember laughing while reading The Colour of Magic. Partly it's because a peculiarity of mine: while reading or especially watching comedic situations, I often feel embarrassed for the "fool" instead of laughing at him. Thus I didn't laugh too much at Magrat's naïvete or Granny Weatherwax's imposing personality. Reading the reviews I've noticed I've missed some (most?) of the Shakespearian jokes. Gytha Ogg is brilliant ("Three marriages and an adventurous girlhood had left Nanny Ogg with thigh muscles that could crack coconuts"). That's it.

4 comments:

Teri said...

You're not the only one who does that -- feeling embarrassed or symapthetic for the fool, that is. It's the main reason that I found the dinner scene in "A Civil Campaign" not funny at all. I was too busy being mortified on Miles' behalf.

Wolf550e said...

I don't see how that scene could have been funny. Did LMB say she intended it to be funny? Was it discussed on list?

Teri said...

I don't know if LMB has said anything on the matter, but I know everyone else with whom I've discussed the book thinks it's the most hilarious thing evar.

I thought it was very sad.

Anonymous said...

Ah, I agree completely.
except I don't like Gytha Ogg much.

And you should take the books in English from me! I have almost all of Prachett's books, all in English and 15 minutes walk away! for free!

Blog Archive

About Me

GCS d- s-: a-- C++$ UL++ P+++ L+++ E--- W+++ N o? K? w++$ !O !M !V PS-(+) PE Y+ PGP+(-) t--@ 5++(+++) !X R-- tv-- b+>++ DI+++ D+ G e h! r* y--(-)>+++