The boring rants of a lazy nerd

Saturday, July 09, 2005

Personal/Tech - Developer vs. Secretary mode

The first thing I do when I sit in front of (or connect remotely to) a Windows box with intention to accomplish some work, I:

  1. Disable intrusive themes, sounds, animated mouse cursors, heavy wallpapers.
  2. Enable showing folder path in title and statusbar, showing file extensions, showing hidden and system files, and managing html files and associated folders independently of each other.
  3. Set file name and folder name completion key to tab (9) in command processor settings in the registry, so I can use the command line interface.
  4. Disable all shortcut keys to accessibility options.

Only then can I get to getting things done. If I happen to be logged as someone else, I usually take care to make sure the person knows what I've done and can reverse it (if they so choose). But sometimes, I just say I refuse to work for free on such a hideously misconfigured computer.
For some reason, people who've observed me doing it (and heard what I had to say about the machine's users while I was doing it) think I'm not just condescending but weird.

Why do I call a cutesy configured computer, optimized for avoiding work "secretary mode"? To explain that, I'll have to go into the realities of universal conscription. That will wait for a later date, but be sure I'm not a chauvinist - it's just life's harsh realities.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

GCS d- s-: a-- C++$ UL++ P+++ L+++ E--- W+++ N o? K? w++$ !O !M !V PS-(+) PE Y+ PGP+(-) t--@ 5++(+++) !X R-- tv-- b+>++ DI+++ D+ G e h! r* y--(-)>+++