The boring rants of a lazy nerd

Saturday, December 24, 2005

Movies - The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe

After reading R.'s book, I'm going to see the movie tomtoday.

A week later: There is an observation I can't remember, I think made by Emperor Hirohito, about the distance between plans and execution. Well, maybe today.

Two weeks after that: I've seen it the previous weekend (half empty theater, mostly kids). I think it's the first movie I've seen where there's more detail in the movie than in the book. The movie is faithful to the source, though expectedly over dramatized, too pretty, and tries to look like LoTR.

The beaver family, as comic relief for the adults, was a bit much. Nobody laughed.

Why does the older girl (Susan) have to be pretty? Isn't the story about average kids? Like movie!Hermione, I think it's OOC.

They say LoTR is very Christian, but it never bothered me. This story does. I think it's because it's a bit more pushy with the evangelism. It's too short, too simplistic, too black-and-white, and the loss of the narrator in the movie hurts: I don't think Peter's development as a character really gets through the silver screen. I've been spoiled by more complicated plots, grayer characters, and less obvious than Sunday-school preaching of morals.

C.S. Lewis < J.K. Rowling < Lois McMaster Bujold

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to hear about the book too, and if you intend to read the rest, and what about the postman?
and was there another book? no matter.

Wolf550e said...

Review updated. Yes, there was indeed a second book. I'm reading it, and I will review it when I'm done.

Anonymous said...

hmmm, Susan looking good is not OOC - though perhaps it isn't mentioned specifically in that book.
And about it being christian, I didn't notice it much as a kid. But in any case the last book is the worst in that respect.
I adore Glory Season. And I need a newer one - I hope it's not falling apart too much...
And the 6 other Narnia books are available if you want, and you could pick up your book too

R.J. Anderson said...

Susan is supposed to be pretty: she's explicitly described as such in the books on more than one occasion. In one of the later books we find that Lucy struggles with jealousy of her sister because Susan always has been "the pretty one". I thought the actress in the movie was pretty in that classic pale-skinned, dark-haired, rosy-lipped "English rose" way without being unrealistically Hollywood glamorous, so it worked for me.

Blog Archive

About Me

GCS d- s-: a-- C++$ UL++ P+++ L+++ E--- W+++ N o? K? w++$ !O !M !V PS-(+) PE Y+ PGP+(-) t--@ 5++(+++) !X R-- tv-- b+>++ DI+++ D+ G e h! r* y--(-)>+++